On September 12, 1898, the Walnut Avenue Presbyterian Church came to fruition out of the need for another Presbyterian Church in Trenton. Hampton W. Cook gave the land at Walnut and Walters Avenue where the "Little Brown Church" would be built. Rev. Isaac M. Patterson was the first pastor to be installed.
Due to continued growth, the church building was relocated to what is now the current location at 1140 Greenwood Avenue in 1918. It was at this time that the church was renamed Westminster Presbyterian Church.
From 1929 to 1959, the church membership increased greatly under the direction of Rev. William M. Boaz. To satisfy the need for more space, the large multi-purpose room known as Cook Hall was completed in 1952 followed by a new sanctuary in 1958.
In early 1960, Westminster merged with Faith Presbyterian Church, The completion of the current facility happened 1964 with the addition of an educational building.
As Trenton’s demographic began to change, Westminster had to make a decision. As a predominantly white congregation, it could move out of Trenton or adapt to its new surroundings. Westminster chose to remain in Trenton, and to radically transform into a multiracial and multicultural worshiping congregation. It continues to play an active role in the life of the surrounding communities and the city.
In 1995, Rev. Karen Hernández-Granzen was installed as pastor and has faithfully led her flock for more than two decades. Back in the 1990s, many people foretold the imminent closing of the church, but with its God-given mission and vision, Westminster remains a vital urban congregation to this day.